In the 16th century, Driehuis was merely a village consisting of three farmsteads and a few small cottages. One of these farms housed a Roman Catholic ‘farm church’. In the 17th and 18th centuries, Driehuis expanded with the addition of a couple of country estates, including Westerveld. In the second half of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, the centuries-old Driehuizerkerkweg connecting road became a proper village street lined predominantly with small-scale buildings.
The old farmhouse church was demolished at the end of the 19th century and replaced by the current neo-Gothic church. The church is relatively large for the size of the village because it was the only Roman Catholic church in the municipality of Velsen at the time. Every faithful Catholic in the Velsen area attended services at this church. Over time, a Roman Catholic enclave sprung up around the church, including a local school, boarding school and mission house.
In 1888, the Westerveld estate was turned into a cemetery, and in 1913 the first crematorium in the Netherlands was established there. In the 1930s, Driehuis became a typical commuter town thanks to the construction of a number of middle-class neighbourhoods. In the 1970s, larger buildings were added to the landscape (a nursing home and retirement homes).