Santpoort-NoordDating back to the 12th century at the latest, Santpoort got its start as a small village west of the intersection of the Heerenweg (now Hoofdstraat) and Westlaan (now Huis ten Bildtstraat). It attracted many visitors due to its relatively large number of inns.
From the second half of the 16th century through the 19th century, many linen bleach-works were established in the peat bogs that were cultivated back in the Middle Ages. The bleach-works all disappeared by the end of the 19th century. A portion of this land was transformed into the Spaarnberg estate, where the modern-day Burgemeester Rijkenspark is now located.
The area continued to expand in the second half 19th century with a long string of ribbon developments. It remained primarily agricultural. From 1905, the community developed into a commuter town. Small-scale construction predominated for a considerable time and the landscape only started to include larger buildings in the 1990s.
The 18th-century flour mill De Zandhaas is the last remaining of the three original windmills that once stood here. The mill’s title belonged to the Heren van Brederode, a guild who oversaw trade in the Velsen region.