On both southern and northern edges of the mediaeval wetlands known as ‘the Schipbroeken’, there were once two strategically-located castles. The Brederode castle is the better-known of the two, as the Huis te Velsen was destroyed in the 15th century. By the 16th century Brederode had fallen into ruins as well, but served as a source of inspiration for a variety of (significant) artists. At the end of the 19th century, the ruins were ‘renovated’ thanks to their recognition as one of the Netherlands’ first protected cultural heritage sites.
The community of Santpoort-Zuid resulted directly from the digging of the Jan Gijzenvaart in 1537. This man-made waterway was originally intended for transporting sand. At the end of this canal, a total of nine linen bleach-works were established along the Bloemendaalsestraatweg – a major connecting road. Santpoort-Zuid remained primarily a community of bleachers until late in the 19th century. After the arrival of the first train station in 1865, residential commuter neighbourhoods sprung up on the Duinweg and Vinkenbaan. The Bloemendaalsestraatweg took on a village atmosphere characterized by small-scale architecture. A number of the 17th-century houses still stand today. The construction of the Philipspark in the 1930s further defined Santpoort-Zuid as a commuter town.